28 May 2012

Garmin Swim-Run (benchmarking race) - CHECK!

Garmin Swim - Run race is now over! I really enjoyed doing this race particularly because I was with a good group! So, this is a brief overview of what I felt while doing the race.

Since the race was divided into groups, I had ample time to perform a good warm-up in the pool (25m in length). I was really worried and anxious of how I need to keep my pacing during the swim simply because I never took part in a race which had swimming as part of the race itself. This particular thought was bugging me these last 2 - 3 days....that is how worried I was because of the swim lol!

To cut the story short we had to swim 400m and then run 3km straight after the swim. GET READYYY....GO!!! I starting swimming at a moderate pace because I did not want to finish last either hehe :) after about 300m into the swim my heartrate was getting higher and higher...high enough to almost go into hyperventilation. Because of this I had to make 50m breast (recovery swim) to catch my breath.



400m done in about 7 minutes 45 seconds or 8 minutes...not sure (forgot to start my stopwatch because I was too busy thinking about the swimming pace)...anyway, got out of the pool as fast as I could and I already almost couldn't feel my legs. I ran to the transition area, removed my goggles and swimming cap, put on my running shoes, drank a sip of water and put on my sunglasses. Transition time was about 10 - 13 seconds...quite good considering that this was my first time! :)



So far so good! Managed to survive my first 400m swim in quite a good time (for me). Now I needed to run 3 km with a good steady pace...4minutes 30 seconds per km. By now I could feel that my legs were back to normal.

After about 500 meters into the run, I was feeling a stitch to my right side. I thought that it's not a big deal since during training I often suffer from stitches and after a minute or two I'll be back to normal.



I continued to run but lowered my pacing in order to recover from the stitch as fast as possible however more than half way into the run I was still feeling the stitch and it was getting worse...as one time I had to stop running for 20 seconds (at least) because I was in too much pain that I couldn't run straight any more. :(

After that 20 seconds stop I walked another 5 meters and started running again with a slow pace. I knew that the race was about 500 meters away. Crossed the finish line (still in pain) but quite happy to have finished my first race.

Conclusion: For my first race I think I did well but I can do much better because I know how much my body can handle.

Finished the race in 21 minutes 14 seconds!

Placed 11th out of 23 athletes! :) Quite happy with the result (next time I'm sure I'll do better :D)

No comments:

Post a Comment