27 March 2012

Cycling - speed...speed...speedddd!!!

By far, my favorite discipline is cycling. To be honest with you, I don't know how I can explain the feeling during a bike ride....maybe intense while relaxing at the same time, maybe. One has to try it :)

I had bought my first mountain bike when I had only 13 years for LM80 and I really loved every inch of it, even if it was really heavy (27KG), wasn't top of the range, had only 18 gears, the rear derailleur was only a Shimano SIS etc. I used to spend hours in our garage trying to make the best out of my bike. Always trying to make the gears shift instantly without any "noise". Always cleaning my bike, covering it with a piece of cloth before leaving the garage so that dirt would not get into the gears and sit on the bike itself. When my school organized a bike event during the sports day I always rode from home to school (St. Venera to Corradino hill), participate in any biking event available and then cycle back home. I also repaired everything in my bike! I NEVER trusted anyone to ride my bike...I was that careful and till this very day the bike is still working like clockwork.

Years after buying my mountain bike I stopped riding my bike due to other commitments however about a year ago I had decided to buy my second mountain bike (Orbea Toubkal) with 2 objectives in mind.

- staying fit and healthy
- really missed cycling and it's freedom sensation

 
This Orbea had an aluminum frame, thus weighed only 16kg (huge leap from my older bike), aluminum wheels with double wall, better group set and more gears, disk brakes and front suspension. I was really happy with it and it was a pleasure to ride such a good bike! However there was still something missing but I couldn't figure out that. Then one day during my weekly routine ride I encountered a guy with a road bike just ahead of me who was just starting to go down the "Burmarrad" road. This meant only one thing to me...I HAVE TO OVERTAKE THIS GUY AT ALL COSTS!! I started pedaling as hard as I could (while he was not pedaling at all), however I did not manage to overtake this guy. It was at that point when I realized that is missing in my bike....SPEED!! I am addicted to speed but could not afford a road bike.

To cut the story short, I managed to buy a road bike and everything...and I mean EVERYTHING changed from good to better. The ride seating position was something incredible, the aero-dynamics, the grip, the width of the frame....WOW!!! :O EVERYTHING IS MAKING SENSE NOW!!! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment