23 March 2012

Triathlon Gear & the first few training sessions

As you should know by now, the discipline of Triathlon consists of three different sports in one. This means that before you decide to continue practicing this sport, you need to sit down and think about how much time, money and how many sacrifices you're willing to spend/do on such sport.

- If you have a very hectic and busy life such as going to work at 6am and not going back home before 11pm (due to other activities) then this is not the sport for you.
- If you want a sport that you do not have to spend hundreds on it, then forget triathlon. This is quite an expensive sport and if you are willing to get to a professional level, then you have to pay much more for equipment, memberships etc.

I had asked myself such questions and even if I am not a wealthy person, I wanted to do this sport.

"Where there's will, there's a way!"

Standard equipment you much have to be able to participate in a race:
- Good pair of sun glasses
- Good running shoes
- Running clothes
- Bike (Road bike is better than a mountain bike....however it's more expensive)
- Turbo trainer (to be able to cycle indoors when it's raining)
- Cycling clothes
- Swimming shorts
- Pull buoy
- Kick board
- Goggles
- Time, dedication, patience and support (a big thanks goes to my fiancée Erica)! :)



Fail in having one of those...and you will not be able to do such a race.

When I decided to start training, my coach asked me to perform a 5km run. No problem, started running but after 5 minutes my legs were already feeling a little bit wobbly. I managed to do a 5km run (without no hills) in 35 minutes but I was going to die when I stopped. I felt like fainting, and was going to puke. I was really out of shape however nowadays I can perform a 10km run within 57 minutes without experiencing any pain of dizziness.

When I had my mountain bike I used to ride from St. Venera through Attard, Rabat, Mosta, Burmarrad, St. Paul's Bay, Bugibba front and back in about 1 hour 37 minutes. Now, it takes me 1 hr 10 minutes to do the same route. That is what I call improvement! (This was also possible by using a road bike and not a mountain bike).

I know how to swim in sea and in the pool however I NEVER practiced swimming with my head in the water. That in fact was one big monster I had to tame. During my first swimming lesson I felt that I was really bloated. with the amount of water I had swallowed! You have to swim, and breath at the same time without loosing a second. This was really hard for me at first and however after some training sessions I am feeling that I got a better idea how things need to be done.

Weekend is approaching and that means that I have more time in which to exercise and get stronger.

Wish you readers a nice, relaxed weekend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment