26 March 2012

Swimming - the "all technical" discipline

The first thing my coach asked me was "do you know how to swim?" and my reply was "I have no problem whatsoever with swimming freestyle however I do not have the technique required to accomplish the swim part without drowning...lol"

My first swimming session started with a brief introduction of myself to the other triathletes and then, into the pool! Fabio (my coach) requested me to swim 100m as my first exercise to check how my swimming style is, what weaknesses I have, and all the other stuff. Swam my first 100m as requested and he told me that I need to put my head into the water, breath into the water and make myself more linear to the water surface. Doing those three things would make my swim more efficient and less energy consuming.

First try: Put head in water and start swimming...1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 strokes then stopped because I forgot to breath....

Second try: Put head in water, stroke 1, 2, 3, 4, tried to breath out....stroke 5...head out of water to breath in....head into water....stroke 7, 8, 9....stopped because out of breath.



To cut the story short, my first swimming session was really crap however since I was determined that I can do it and also knew that this would be the hardest of the three disciplines I managed to grasp the breathing technique after about 6 sessions. Finally, I can now focus on my strokes, how to perform a more efficient stroke, kicking, body rolling etc.

Now, I have been practicing swimming for quite a few sessions and every session I feel that I am getting better and stronger...maybe it's just a placebo effect however results are already improving! 46 strokes to a cover a total of 50 meters.

Target: Train harder to swim more efficiently!

PS: Swimming in the cold climate of January and February in a heated pool, BLISS! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment